Friday, May 10, 2013

Meant For Each Other

The night before being induced to have Taya, I was an absolute wreck.  I wasn't thinking about the contractions, or the delivery, instead I was so worried about Milo.  I loved spoiling him rotten.  I still rocked him like a baby and played with him 24/7.  My attention had been completely his, and that was all about to change.  I remember crying on the phone to my mom that I was worried about leaving him for a couple of nights (yes, I have weird parent separation anxiety), and all she said was, "You will be gone such a short time, and then you are bringing him home the greatest gift in the world".  I know she meant for this to comfort me, but it didn't. . . A little sister. . . A little sister to hog all of the attention and steal your toys. . . not the greatest gift in the world. 

Milo was 19 months when we brought Taya home.  He has always been a very picky/demanding child.  He is a sweet boy... as long as you do things exactly to his liking.  I knew his pampered world was about to shatter.  When I look back at the pictures, Milo was still just a baby, but all of the sudden he had to become the big brother--it was the best thing that ever happened.

I couldn't believe how sweet he was with Taya even from the very begining.  As time goes on, it becomes more and more obvious that these two were meant for each other.  Milo needs Taya to show him that life doesn't have to be clean and predictable, and Taya needs Milo to guide her into all of the things that are new.
Last week, I took Milo to run errands with me.  Chris was at home with Taya.  I told Milo that it was our special time together.  He was such a good boy and we had a good time together.  Then after lunch, he looks over at her carseat and says, "Mom, where's Taya? I miss her".  I explained where she was, and then asked, "Do you want to go to Toys-R-Us or should we go home and see her?" . . . "Let's go see her mama."  It was the sweetest thing.  My mom was right in all of her wisdom, a baby sister is the best thing.  
He is constantly watching over her.  When she is doing something dangerous he will say, "no no no Taya. You be safe."  He washes her hair in the bathtub and crawls around with her on the floor.  He'll tell me, "look mom, I'm playing with my baby sister."
On the flip side, there is about 45 minutes every afternoon when Taya is awake and Milo is napping.  Tay loves the individual attention for about 5 minutes, and then starts looking around for him.  When I finally open the door for him to wake up, she gets so excited and flaps her hands and crawls into bed with him.  She is always trying to keep up with him and do all of the things that he does.  She loves to give him cuddles and kisses (which are more like tackles and slobbers).
Of course there are moments when Milo pushes her down for taking his skidsteer, or when Taya throws a fit because Milo is holding her drink just out of reach, but I can't imagine just having one kid now.  They are a package deal, and have made our life incredibly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment