Friday, April 23, 2010

Some things are better left to grandma


I have one of the coolest grandmas of all time. Sure she's awesome because she has a huge collection of fanny packs to sport at the cassio, and sure she's amazing because she is the best shopping partner ever (even if she does tell you that you look like a Mexican when you try on vibrant collors). But on top of all of that, she is an amazing cook!
I tried out one of her recipes at Easter, and it was a big success. So I decided that tonight I would make an Asian meal with all of my grandmas specialties, and invite our friends over to indulge with us. The main course is going to be these sweet and sour chicken wings that I could write a two page blog about because they are so freaking good! I seriously think that I ate over 30 of them in a 12 hour period once, they're that amazing.
Well I should have known that I was in over my head as soon as I looked at the first direction of the recipe: De-skin 2-3 Lbs. of chicken wings. That equates to about 45 pieces of chicken! To fully appreciate this experience, I have to flash back to last Thanksgiving. Me in the kitchen crying/screaming becasue I did not dare to touch the raw turkey. Once I finally got over the fact that I had to stick my hand down it's throat or up its you know what, I got SO freaked out by the texture of the skin on it. YUCK. Now I've watched my mom and Martha Stewart do it, and they had no problem, but something about skin on meat is too much for me to handle. After Thanksgiving, I vowed that I would make sure to be invited to someone else's dinner table for the rest of my life so that I never have to touch one of those things again!
Well, I started trying to skin my chicken wings at 8:15 this morning. Let's just say 3 Taylor Swift songs, 5 gags, and a couple small screeches later I had one, I repeat ONE wing skinned. It's now an hour and a half later and half of the chicken is still sitting in my sink mocking me! Those dirty little chickens!

2 comments:

  1. You are going to do awesome! I cant wait for dinner tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hillarious. I have a hard time eating chicken without the skin. Which is a problem because my husband prefers boneless skinless, I do not. So I say just leave the skin on :) I dont care if the skin is the most fatty part of the chicken, I love nice crispy chicken skin, preferably fried. But then again everything tastes better fried. But this is also coming for the woman who loves fried spam and craves a nice piece of crunchy skin from a freshly roasted pig. Yum.

    ReplyDelete