Tuesday, June 7, 2016

moving


In January Chris and I said that we both felt “bored”.   Not super engaged in work or hobbies.   We just felt stagnant.  We started thinking about flipping a house, or starting some new adventure together.  .  .  Well, we for sure got the adventure, and being bored sounds amazing!

At some point while looking for an investment property, I got the overwhelming feeling that we needed to move.  Like sick to my stomach had to happen kind of feeling.   Now I’ve heard people bare their testimonies and say that they were led to a specific place, and I always thought that it was sort of odd… but now I am one of those people!   I really didn’t want to sell our home.  Chris built that house.  We had put a lot of time into making it perfect for our family.   My best friend lived next door.   It had a neighborhood pool, and we were comfortable.   But I couldn’t change that ache, we had to move. 

Our house sold quickly.  Luckily they gave us nearly 3 months to close.   Which was good, because we needed a solid plan.  We toured house after house, city after city.   Looked at lots. Looked at building.  Looked at renovating. Looked at downsizing.  And in the end, really wished we didn’t have to move. 

I seriously felt like we were in a freefall for months.   All I did was scour the MLS looking for homes.   Then I would slowly pack our house, and finish it off with working on our building plans.   The struggle to figure out the next step was exhausting.   We had picked a city that we were really happy with.   There was a lot that we liked, but it had it’s set backs too.   It was on a steep hill-no bikes for the kids.   It needed a lot of retention=expensive.  Although we felt so good about this new location, everything with the construction was going SO slow, and we hadn’t even broke ground! 

Last week was go time.   We had to be out of our existing house by Saturday.  We were supposed to close on the land purchase in Mt. Green on the following Monday.   So on top of packing up our whole lives, we decided to tour houses one last time.   The tour was a giant flop.   We are really picky and honestly there is just not a lot of inventory on the market.   It was incredibly frustrating.  

I was super emotional all week.   All of our memories as a family happened while living in that house.   I felt like we were dying.   Finally in desperation I prayed, “Heavenly Father, I’m trying to do what you prompted me to do, but I don’t think that I can do this.    I need for you to help me through this.”   Immediately after that I started thinking about how if we would have just moved into the first home that we really liked, we could have been settled and living there for 3 months already.   And my answer came as plain as day, “where is the adventure in that?”   I thought it was such a funny answer!  But so true!   It really helped me to finish packing up, and keep trying to figure out what in the world we were supposed to be doing. 

At 9 o’clock at night, on the Thursday before moving day  I got out my phone to check any new listings in Mountain Green.   Something new had come on the market in the 2 hours since I had last looked.   I swiped through 4 pictures and ran upstairs to talk to Chris.  “It’s an emergency! We need to buy this house.”   He laughed and grabbed my phone.  In under three minutes we decided to offer full price, without even seeing the house in person.   Our realtor wrote up the offer and got it over before 10.  

The next day we went up to see the home.   They had 11 showing that day and it was swarming with people.  The house was even more amazing in person… like everything we could ever want x10.  We were on pins and needles waiting to hear if they were going to accept our offer.   In one day on the market they generated 6 offers!  The realtor of the home informed us that the owner wasn’t just concerned about price (which is a good thing, because we couldn’t have offered any more), but that he needed speed.   How quickly could we close?   Um… we had to move out the next day… so really fast!  It was  a dreadful day and a half waiting for them to get back to us.  But finally, right after we had completely moved, the call came that we got the house!  We were seriously ridiculously excited.  We are going to move in 2 weeks, which seems insane after all of that floundering for months.  Everything had to work out exactly like it did for us to be led here.   If we wouldn’t have struggled through building plans, examining schools in the area, looking at existing homes, we wouldn’t have been ready for this.   I know that this is where we are meant to be.   I cannot wait for our new adventures, and new life, in our new house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment